At Lyndhurst Primary School we aim to establish a sporting culture that enables and encourages all children to play and enjoy sport. We have established a number of after-school clubs for our pupils offering a wide variety of sporting opportunities for our children. We enter numerous school sport competitions to allow children to be competitive and are constantly developing our PE programme.
We aim to:
Improve the quality of the school P.E. programme by:
- Auditing staff to highlight development areas
- Delivering P.E. focused staff training through staff meetings and INSET days
- Employment of sports specialist to teach pupils and mentor staff
- Investigate and explore good practice from other schools to further improve our P.E. curriculum, and:
- Establish an extra-curricular multi-sport club to develop children’s skills and involvement in sport
- Provide additional training and coaching for children in school teams to develop their skills as part of our gifted and talented offer
- Enter teams into a wide range of school sport competitions
- Create inter-school sport competitions to provide further competitive opportunities for children
- Deliver an exciting and memorable sports day
- Link a sports event with a charity scheme to support the wider world
UK Government Website – PE and Sport Premium for Primary Schools
Primary School’s Sports Funding
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2014 – 2020 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding will be allocated to primary school headteachers.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. OFSTED will play a significant role in ensuring that schools target this funding in areas which will lead to clear outcomes in raising standards and opportunities in PE and school sport for all children throughout the Primary Phase. All schools will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil for the next two academic years.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- providing places for pupils in after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
How will we be spending the Sports funding and who will benefit?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that:
- all children benefit regardless of sporting ability
- that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments
- that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
The Sports funding will be used to:
- Fund a Subject Specific post in school to lead Physical Education.
- Increase the skill level of staff in the delivery of quality P.E. teaching.
- Buy exciting and stimulating resources to facilitate the teaching of PE.
- Increase participation in sport and PE by offering free after-school sports coaching.
- Extend after-school sports activities. We now offer a range of school clubs, accessed by children from Key Stages one and two. We have built capacity by employing sports coaches to work alongside our teachers.
- Develop a safe but active use of the playground at break times.
- Pay for sports coaches to help organise lunchtime tournaments and skill development opportunities in cricket, netball and football.
- Provide opportunities for children to compete. We feel it is important that children have the chance to represent their school and take part in competitive sport against other schools.
PE Premium Policy 2017-18